8th Annual Picnic And Walk
Our 8th Annual Picnic and Walk provides an opportunity for more than 100 clients, volunteers, partners, and advocates to celebrate and support the important work of Open Access Connections.
When: Saturday September 17th, 11:30am-2:30pm
Activities: Optional 1.5 mile walk, free tasty picnic lunch, live music, prizes, and games
Where: Minnehaha Park, Minneapolis, Wabun Picnic Shelter A (Map)
Here are some of the accomplishments we will be celebrating:
- Providing free voice mail to 2,800 homeless and low-income Minnesotans, empowering them to find jobs, housing, and overall economic self-sufficiency.
- Training 6 Grassroots Outreach workers to complete over 300 shifts of Grassroots Outreach at 7 separate nonprofit locations. Last year we provided voice mail to over 275 people through this program.
- holding 12 Generation 50+ Group meetings, providing a forum for over 80 older people who have experienced homelessness to address issues affecting their community.
- Distributing over 1,800 Lifeline supported cell phones through a partnership with enTouch Wireless.
- Registering 199 homeless and low-income people to vote in the 2015 St. Paul Municipal Election.
- Facilitating a non-partisan voter engagement campaign that will register 800 homeless and low-income people to vote for the 2016 Elections.
You can support our work You can also donate on behalf of the many walkers fundraising for our Picnic and Walk. Just click on the walker to find their fundraising page!
Also, thanks to a generous donation from the Frey Family Foundation, all new donations and returning donations that are increased by 10% will be matched!
How can I get there? Minnehaha Park is on the light rail and along bus routes from Minneapolis and St. Paul. There’s an easily accessible parking area near the picnic area. (Map)
From Downtown St. Paul: Take the #21 bus westbound to Minnehaha Avenue then take #7 bus southbound to 46th Street Station.You can either make walk from 46th Street station or hop on the #46 bus which will take you to 46 St E & 46 Av S, which is very close to Wabun Picnic Shelter A.
From Downtown Minneapolis: Take #7 bus southbound to 46th Transit Center OR Take light rail from downtown to 46th Street Station. You can either make walk from 46th Street station or hop on the #46 which will take you to 46 St E & 46 Av S.