Government Lifeline Cell Phones
Open Access Connections is an authorized distributor of discounted Lifeline-supported government cellphones through Entouch Wireless.
To be eligible to apply for the Lifeline phone service, you will need a valid government-issued photo ID, proof of participation in a low-income government program or proof of low-income status, and the last four digits of your Social Security number.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, for a limited time, the cost of Lifeline cell phones has been covered and the plan has been expanded. The current plan under the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) includes unlimited talk, text, and data. Learn more about the Lifeline phone program here. We are currently processing applications at our main office. Call us at 651-643-0883 to schedule an appointment.
Currently the cost and plan of Lifeline Cell Phones are being covered by the ACP Program. Temporarily, the phones are FREE and the plan includes unlimited talk, text, and data.
You will need:
- Valid government-issued photo ID (Driver’s License, State ID card, green card, or US Passport. We also accept Tribal IDs with a DOB).
- Proof of address as a Minnesota resident (Driver’s License, State ID card, benefits statement from a federal program, lease agreement, utility bills, shelter verification letter). If
- Proof of participation in a federal assistance program (i.e. the most recent month’s statement of benefits for SNAP, Medicaid, SSI, Section 8, Veterans/Survivors Pension or Social Security Annual Award Letter). The document must have your name, the name of the qualifying program, the government administrator who issued the document, and the issue date within the last 12 months.
- Please visit your county’s human services office or call your benefits representative to obtain this document if you do not have one.
- Last 4 digits of Social Security Number – you may be asked to provide the physical social security card or proof of address as well.
Community Voice Mail
Community Voice Mail is a free service offered by Open Access Connections. You will receive a free phone number with a 651 area code that you can put on resumes, job applications, housing applications, and more. You can also use this number as a safe communication tool to connect with family and friends.
You can check your Voice Mail messages from any phone. Messages are saved for 10 days, and another 4 days after you listen to them. We recommend clients check their messages at least once a week.
You can sign up for a Community Voice Mail number at our main office or at any of our partner locations. Contact us to find a location near you!
Generation 50+ Group
The Generation 50+ Group is a community organizing group composed of people who are over 50, have a history of homelessness, and who are low-income. The Generation 50+ Group is led by its members, who set the group’s agenda, choose programs, engage in issue advocacy, and serve as important links for one another to housing, healthcare services, community-building, and support. Generation 50+ Group members are community leaders actively working to improve their lives and the wellbeing of their communities. They lead by example to empower others around them to do the same. Learn more about our Generation 50+ Group here.
Open Access Connections offers our members numerous ways to be involved in non-partisan civic engagement. We help people register to vote and be informed participants in all elections, we encourage participation in the census, and we mobilize our constituents to advocate for issues that matter to them in Minnesota. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved with our work.
The issues we are currently mobilizing on are:
- Redrawing legislative districts fairly using 2020 Census data in Minnesota,
- Increasing access to affordable housing and emergency shelter, especially in the Twin Cities,
- Advocating for economic relief for low-income and homeless Minnesotans during the COVID-19 pandemic, and
- Coordinating a non-partisan voter engagement campaign for the 2021 municipal elections.